My friend has recently gotten engaged and is busy planning her wedding, centred around the theme of apples and buttons. As a rather excited bridesmaid, I’ve been trying to think of a good cake to make for her (I’m a bit of feeder, cake is what I do), and decided on an apple one. As it was my first time making it, I followed the recipe pretty closely, if I was to make it again I would probably leave the cake in the over for a little longer, as I’m not a fan of squidgy centres. Other than that, delish.
225g dark muscovado sugar
2eggs, lightly beaten
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
300g cooking apples , peeled, cored and diced
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp unrefined demerara sugar
1. Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
2. Cream the butter and muscovado sugar in a food processor for a couple of minutes, then mix in the egg.
3. Sift over the flour, baking powder and spices. Fold together, then stir in the apple.
4. Pour into a buttered, base-lined 20cm springform cake tin and bake for 1 hour, or until risen and browned.
5. Combine the honey and demerara and spread over the cake while still warm.
6. Remove the cake from the tin and serve with cream or ice cream. Keeps for 3-4 days wrapped in foil.
To view the original recipe, and a lot of other tasty conteders visit: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9925/squidgy-spiced-apple-cake