This week I made some brownies on a whim, I had a craving for some sort of cake and wanted something easy so I went to my recipe bookshelf and got cooking. This recipe is from The Chocolate Box, I haven’t got a photo because there are none left – but hey, everyone knows what a brownie looks like, right?
100g unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
75g dark brown sugar
125g dark chocolate
1 tbsp syrup
1 tsp either chocolate or vanilla essence (I used lots of vanilla, as always)
100g plain flour
2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
1. Lightly grease and line the base of a 20cm square tin. Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Place butter, sugars, dark chocolate and syrup in a large heavy-based saucepan and heat gently, stirring until mixture is smooth and blended. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
3. Beat together eggs and essence in a jug. Whisk it into the cooling mixture.
4. Sieve together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold gently into the chocolate mixture using a metal spoon.
5. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 25 -30 mins. Remove from the oven when the edges are becoming crisp and coming away from the tin, and when the middle looks just set.
Leave to cool in the tin. When completely cool, cut into squares.